What is Nephrology?
Nephrology is a sub-specialty of internal medicine – a specialty of medicine and pediatrics that concerns itself with the study of normal kidney function, kidney problems, the treatment of kidney problems and renal replacement therapy.
These are some of the conditions treated by a nephrologist:
- Acid-Base, Fluid, and Electrolyte Disorders
- Acute Kidney Failure
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Cystic Diseases of the Kidney
- Drug- and Nephrotoxin-Associated Kidney Disorders
- Glomerular Diseases
- Hereditary Kidney Disorders
- Hypertension and the Kidney
- Pregnancy and the Kidney
- The Kidney in Systemic Diseases
- Tubulointerstitial Diseases of the Kidney