Buttock augmentation, also functioning as a butt lift in some cases, is a popular surgery in many parts of the world where patients desire a larger, more shapely butt. Buttock augmentation may include procedures such as “Butt Implants” or fat grafting, known as the “Brazilian Butt Lift”. Butt augmentation and lifts involve reshaping and enhancing the shape and size to achieve larger or curvier buttocks, and sometimes to fill out laxity of skin, i.e. a lift. When more volume is desired, implants offer permanent and the most predictable results. Liposuction can be included for creating those nice contours patients want.
A third method to achieve a butt lift is by skin rescission. This is normally only used for extreme weight loss patients who have a great deal of excess skin, and then the scar, which goes clear across the back below the waist, may be less of a problem than the excess skin, but usually it’s not a good idea to create that kind of scar. The choice is whether one prefers to live with the scar or the loose skin, and the recovery can be somewhat difficult.
One other very specialized procedure places the incision in the infragluteal crease between the buttock and thigh, and it is done by hiking up the back of the thigh tissues (like pulling up a pair of pants), in order to add tissue (Auto-Augmentation) to the buttock, but very few patients are a candidate for this procedure, and it does not technically lift the butt. The downside is that every day you will sit on a gluteal crease scar which may not be comfortable, and the scars may heal badly (not something that can be easily repaired) and become visible in swimwear. Most plastic surgeons prefer not to use this method.
Reasons for Choosing a Butt Lift
- Improved visual appeal
- Improved shape of the buttocks
- Lifting sagging buttocks
- Filling out flat buttocks
- Having clothes fit nicely
The Butt Lift Procedure
The butt lift procedure is performed by either of the following three methods:
- Autologous Fat Transfer: This procedure involves liposuction to remove excess fat from the person’s own body for injection under the skin to augment the buttocks.
- Buttock Implants: This procedure involves placing implants in a pocket inside the gluteal muscle of the buttocks, with one small incision between the buttocks so there is no visible scar.
- Skin rescission to allow lifting and tightening.
Risks Involved with Buttock Augmentation/Butt Lifts
As with any surgery, butt lifts come with risks. Some of the risks may include:
- Implant Slippage: There is a possibility of implant slippage if the implant is placed below the skin and fascia (above the muscle) rather than deep inside the muscle, which may result in asymmetry.
- Capsular contracture: A low risk with any implant procedure.
- Fat Absorption: There is a possibility that the fat may be fully absorbed by the body, minimizing the impact of the surgery. Additional surgery may be necessary to achieve the desired results.
- Accumulation of Fluid: Called a seroma, fluid may accumulate beneath the skin. This fluid will need to be removed.
- Poor Response to Anesthesia: The patient may not respond well to anesthesia administered during the operation. Discuss this in advance with your doctor.
- Bleeding: Profuse bleeding may also occur if a person has a history of bleeding.
- Infection: As with any surgery, infection is possible during and after surgery.
For more information about a butt lift in Costa Rica or to contact a leading cosmetic surgeon in Costa Rica, please fill out the “Help Me Find a Doctor” form in this page. A participating medical specialist will contact you to discuss your case.