What is Estrogen Replacement Therapy?
Estrogen replacement therapy is the process of replacing estrogen that has been lost in women because of various reasons: menopause, a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus), chemotherapy or radiation therapy for cancer treatment, thyroid disorders, lack of body fat, or a genetic predisposition that causes estrogen levels to fall.
The main benefits of Estrogen Replacement Therapy are:
- Increase in bone strength
- Reduction of the risk of heart attack or heart failure
- Reduction in the symptoms of menopause
- Hormonal support for the loss of ovaries
If you experience several of the following symptoms you should seek medical advice about estrogen replacement therapy:
- Night sweats
- Hot flashes
- Loss of libido
- Significant and unexplained mood swings
- Interrupted sleep
- Irregular periods
- Problems with concentration
- Vaginal dryness
How is Estrogen Replacement Therapy done?
- Pills or tablets
- Skin patches
- Vaginal rings
- Skin creams
- Skin gels
With the exception of the oral form of estrogen replacement, all forms of estrogen replacement therapy transfer the estrogen straight into the bloodstream. Pills and tablets must first be processed by the liver, which can cause problems if you have a weak or malfunctioning liver.
Cautions of Estrogen Replacement Therapy
There are certain cases where estrogen replacement therapy cannot be taken:
- If you are pregnant
- If you have a history of blood clots
- If you have had a stroke
- If you have hypertension that is not being treated
- If you have severe headaches or migraine
- If you have a history of heart disease
- If you have or have had endometrial, breast or ovarian cancer
Estrogen Replacement Therapy in Costa Rica
If you are interested in estrogen replacement therapy in Costa Rica, please fill out the “Help me Find a Doctor” form. A participating medical specialist will contact you about your medical needs.